Sunday, May 23, 2004

Footie

On Friday night I went to my first international Soccer match, between Turkey and Australia. It was not a prime nit for the Socceroos (you love the Aussie team nicknames) as they lost to Turkey 3-1.

It was pretty clear that Turkey was the better team (they actually got 3rd in the last (2002?) World Cup. It was my first High level soccer match I've watched live. It is a pretty fun to that quality of sport live. I don't know if I'll ever become a soccer fan, but I don't think I'd turn down a chance to see live, good soccer either.

I'm pretty sure the Turkish fans out-numbered the Aussies. But something like 28,000 people were in the Stadium so it was big crowd none-the-less. And it was fun be among a very passioniate crowd (even if was leaning towards the Turks)

One confusing thing about Australian sport is that when someone says football or footie, it can mean Rugby Union, Rugby League, Australian Rules Football or Soccer....So it can be utterly confusing trying to keep strait which sport they are actually talking about. Another interesting note, is that they call American football Gridiron, and they also think that is a term we use frequently to describe it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
free hit counter